Lake of the Woods County Museum A bridge to the past, Lake of the Woods County Museum has exhibits on geology, natural history, native cultures, the Great Forest Fire of 1910, commercial fishing, logging, agriculture and pharmaceutical industries. The Museum has a large display area, audio-visual programs and a comprehensive library, which includes microfilm of the county newspapers from 1907-1960. Baudette Depot Abandoned in the 1980's and completely renovated as of 2011, the Baudette Depot (1923) is one of Baudette's favorite connections to the Canadian Railway and start to the City of Baudette. It once served as an integral part of the entire transportation system of the areas, when all of the traffic into or out of the country came by river or rail! It was a place of constant movement, a place of joyous reunions and sad goodbyes, and a place alive with stories. Head in for a private tour or attend one of the many festivities and art shows this beautiful location holds. The Depot sits on land leased from CN (Canadian National Railways) at the very end of Main Ave. Massacre Island Jesuit Father Jean Pierre Aulneau and 20 men headed to the NW Angle in the summer of 1736. While visiting an island of Sioux Indians in hope of making peace with the inhibitors, the explorers were murdered. Now a cross marks the spot of the massacre on the highest hill in respect for those lost. Accessible by boat or snowmobile, the island has been a historical destination for many throughout the years. Fort St. Charles Fort St. Charles is the site of the exact location of the original fortress and fur-trading post erected in 1732, by the French-Canadian voyageurs. A reconstructed fort is available for touring and is open to the public. The fort is on Magnusons Island, located at the Northwest Angle. Visitors can pull up to the docks by boat or utilize services offered by area resorts and transportation; a snowmobile trail is open during the winter months. Faunce Tower Lookout Faunce isa100 foot stairway tower erected by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1935. It replaced an older tower (Faunce Fire Tower) located 3 miles to the south of the original along Faunce Forest Road. One of four towers in Beltrami Island State Forest, it also marks the lost village of Faunce. Faunce campground is located at this site, which stands roughly 12 miles south of Williams on Co Rd 2. Norris Camp Considered the headquarters of the Red Lake Wildlife Management Area, the history of Norris Camp began in 1933 with President Roosevelt's New Deal programs. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was one of these programs and it became the impetus for creating Norris Camp. The CCC was created to help spur the United States' economy out of the Great Depression by hiring unemployed young men for public conservation work. Close to 200 men and officers were stationed at Norris Camp performing a variety of tasks. Painted Rock Island Some of Lake of the Woods's earliest settlers and those passing through have left their mark on the North side of what is now Painted Rock Island. These pictographs are estimated to be over 900 years old. Located on an overhanging cliff on Painted Rock Island, this is one of many sites of the rock paintings that are known to exist on Lake of the Woods. They can be viewed from a boat in the channel between Painted Rock Island and Splitrock Island, Ontario; or by snowmobile during the winter months just a short drive from our NW Angle resorts.
Published by Lunar Cow. View All Articles.
This page can be found at http://lakeofthewoodsmn.lunarcow.com/article/Historical+Destinations/1873846/236154/article.html.